CER Management Strategies for Renal Artery Stenosis: 2014 Update
Project Summary Title and Description
- CER Management Strategies for Renal Artery Stenosis: 2014 Update
- An update of the 2006 and 2007 CERs comparing medical treatment, angioplasty+-stenting, and open vascular procedures for atherosclerotic renal artery stenosis. The update reviews only angioplasty with stenting (not an update of angioplasty without stenting).
- Authors of Report
- Methodology description
- See: https://effectivehealthcare.ahrq.gov/ehc/products/606/2037/renal-update-2015-150115.pdf
- Report available at https://effectivehealthcare.ahrq.gov. Manuscript available at www.annals.org.
- Funding Source
- AHRQ (EPC)
- 1. 1. For patients with atherosclerotic renal artery stenosis in the modern management era (i.e., since JNC-5 in 1993*), what is the evidence on the effects of aggressive medical therapy (i.e., antihypertensive, antiplatelet, and antilipid treatment) compared to renal artery angioplasty with stent placement on long-term clinical outcomes (at least 6 months) including blood pressure control, preservation of kidney function, flash pulmonary edema, other cardiovascular events, and survival? 1a. What are the patient characteristics, including etiology, predominant clinical presentation, and severity of stenosis, in the studies? 1b. What adverse events and complications have been associated with aggressive medical therapy or renal artery angioplasty with stent placement?
- 2. 2. What clinical, imaging, laboratory and anatomic characteristics are associated with improved or worse outcomes when treating with either aggressive medical therapy alone or renal artery angioplasty with stent placement?
- 3. 3. What treatment variables are associated with improved or worse outcomes of renal artery angioplasty with stent placement, including periprocedural medications, type of stent, use of distal protection devices, or other adjunct techniques?
Associated Extraction Forms
Associated Studies (each link opens a new tab)
Downloadable Data Content
- XLSX Project Data